Thursday, September 5, 2019

let's talk about being deaf...mostly

So, there I was around 10 years old having a water fight.  Good friends, good fun, every time.
Then I got hit in the face with a Maverick mug full of water.  Yep, hit me right in the mouth and zapped a lot of my nerves, immediately my ears started ringing and I couldn't hear anything but that.  I swore and ran home. (did you know this about me?  That I swore and that I am deaf in one ear and partially in the other?)
Here I am, almost 30 years later.  Wha?
I love hearing things.  I love to hear my kids laugh and play, (here come the tears), my hubby talk and laugh...I just love to hear my people.  I love good music, a story read a loud, a conversation with a friend, a movie with excellent one liners (I do use subtitles though), I love to listen to a running river or the ocean waves, birds (unless it's a magpie), I am SO grateful I can hear so many things!
I will be honest, anyone who knows me well, knows I don't hear as much as they or I would like and it can be super frustrating.  BUT, I can still hear!
Well, the other day while getting ready I was listening to a YouTube video about the Come Follow Me lesson for that week.  When I was done listening/watching it, I got to thinking and something came to my mind that Elder Bednar said.
"If all you or I know about Jesus Christ and His restored gospel is what other people teach or tell us, then the foundation of our testimony of Him and His glorious latter-day work is built upon sand."  SAND!  No likey a sandy foundation.  We all know how that turns out.
"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." (James 1:22)
Another thing that I love to hear is the word of God.  I'm not just saying that.  I LOVE to listen to people talk about the gospel of Jesus Christ and I myself, LOVE to talk about it.  BUT, if I never do my own digging, I won't come to know for myself.  Part of being a doer of the word, is being a seeker in the word.  We seek, we ask for confirmation and guidance from the Holy Ghost on how to apply it and then we do.
Guys!  We live in a time of a hearing epidemic!  Doesn't it just blow your mind to see how many things there are to watch and listen to ALL. THE. TIME?!  It's amazing!  We could easily, I mean, easily be stuck in hearing only.  There is only so much time in the day after all.
The video I watched the other day, that I linked above, I loved.  It gave me great insights and some that I did use in my Primary class.  BUT, my testimony that I bore to my class wouldn't have been mine if that is all the preparation I did.
Hearing is SO good.  How blessed we are. When we DO something about what we hear, we come to KNOW.  John 7:17 "If any man will DO His will, he shall know of the doctrine.".
If you are wondering how to do this, here is some counsel from our Prophet, President Nelson:
"Follow the example of the Prophet Joseph. Find a quiet place where you can regularly go. Humble yourself before God. Pour out your heart to your Heavenly Father. Turn to Him for answers and for comfort.
Pray in the name of Jesus Christ about your concerns, your fears, your weaknesses—yes, the very longings of your heart. And then listen! Write the thoughts that come to your mind. Record your feelings and follow through with actions that you are prompted to take."
Thanks for the chat about being deaf.  It's nice to be heard. 

No comments: