Saturday, April 16, 2022

A Forgiveness Story

 When I was a young girl about 10, I had some traumatic experiences with pedophiles. Once when I was walking home from a friends house(in my neighborhood) and another when walking into school.(on school grounds) Both instances the police were called, I was frightened and in tears. ( I also believe my mother was ticked & terrified)

Two places I felt safe…until I didn’t…until I wasn’t.

Fast forward 25 years into life, a bit into motherhood and many nightmares later. I had anger. I had resentment. I had fear. It haunted me.

 I signed up for a thirty day program with my friend Charlotte Varble to help clear my head. (-Just for life reasons, these experiences weren’t on my mind)

Each morning she sent a challenge of sorts. One day the challenge was forgiveness. 

“Pray about three people you need to forgive and then pray for the help to do it”. Well, I prayed. I had a paper ready to write down who came to mind. Imagine my surprise when these nameless men came to my mind.

 I needed to forgive them? This had never occurred to me.

I hope I never forget how I felt when I prayed for these men. I was freed. I was! Understanding and compassion replaced anger and resentment. My heart changed. Mine! 

It was a beautiful experience. One, I’m humbled and grateful for.

Not all forgiving takes a day. Something’s take time. I testify that forgiveness and repentance are possible because of Jesus Christ. He suffered for all, and for all we will experience. 

I invite you to accept the invitation of President Russell M. Nelson and forgive someone you need to forgive. If you’re not sure who, ask God. He knows. 

Oh, I’m so grateful for the many glorious messages of Easter! One of which, is that ALL wrongs will be made right. -in and through Him. He is our Savior & Redeemer! It doesn’t matter how long we’ve carried a burden. We can be freed. ❤️



1 comment:

Zach said...

What a powerful message you shared Becca! I love your writing and your boldness of sharing. Keep being a light, it is so welcome and makes everyone's path brighter as you do.