Monday, July 27, 2020

Homeschooling older & younger kids together!

From my heart, I’m telling you that homeschooling older & younger kids together is worth it! I get giddy sharing my experiences with this! I’m amazed at how good it is for all of us!
I have 3 older kids, a four year gap and then 3 more. My youngest is three. 
If you read my last post, you know I have a thing for killing two birds with one stone.- So helpful for everyone! 
Moms in general are good at making the most of their time. When we drive we have serious talks, listen to audio books or play mental math games...or have dance parties. 

When I am doing anything with my older kids and the younger ones are nearby playing or looking at books; they are listening and learning. They hear the book discussion, the poem recitation, the math drills or spelling quizzes. I tell you, they benefit from all of that and there is still something more beneficial. -They see it and want it for themselves. Watching their older siblings (and you, mom!) is inspiring for them!

There is a flip side as well. (Remember, two birds) I don’t know about you, but I took a child development class is high school and a cooking, home economics and sewing class in junior high. This is homeschooling! I do so much teaching about child development, age appropriate behavior and other skills related to the other classes I mentioned. Your time “interrupted” by littles is NOT wasted! Your older kids develop a connection with their siblings and they learn SO MANY life skills in the process! It’s FABULOUS! 

Now, if they’ve been away during the day in school for several years, you may do a lot of talking about these “classes” they didn’t sign up for, so they understand and see the value. I do and we’ve been homeschooling their whole lives (sans one year). You will get good at seeing what they are learning from life around the house and pointing it out. They may appreciate it more if you sell it in this way than if it’s “the burden of being home!” Oh, these things bring so many rewards!

Okay, you may be thinking, “there is work to be done, how do we accomplish anything?!” 

To that point. There are many tactics and methods for management of getting schoolwork and housework and everything around and in between done. Here are some that have and do, work for me. 

Team talk and execution. You are a team. It’s not you against them and it’s not older kids against younger kids. You are in this together and you, as a team, are capable of figuring it out...and you will! Speak this way. Think this way!
Work in shifts. Do a rotation. One child does an activity with the kids while you work with the other two and then they switch. (Start with short shifts if they aren’t used to this sort of thing)

I love table time and it works well for all my kids, even the three year old. We have table time right after devotional (not scripture study) and they can pick something they may want help from mom with and I provide activity options for the little ones. An example of table time work is: writing in their journal (if they need help with spelling) or math practice or on Friday it would be a spelling quiz. This could also be science projects or crafting that we can do at the same time. Letting the older kids lead and teach? Win!

The older they get though, the less they need help with. My 15 year old son works his tail off and finds me if he needs something. 
I’ll insert this here because I know you’re thinking about curriculum and what my 15 year old is working his tail off doing. :)
He takes one online class from Greg Denning. Everything else is an in person class. I am SUPER picky about online anything for my kids. We do not want bored boys (or girls) online! If they are not completely engaged in the class, it is not just a waste of time and money, it’s a really bad idea. 
So, he takes an excellent debate class. He’s part of a mock trial team and takes early morning seminary. We are participating in a commonwealth school this year that is one day a week. He also runs cross country and swims for the high school. You want active, engaged boys! He does math on his own. He’s currently working through “The Beginners Guide to Constructing the Universe” -because he wants to. 

Alright, if you are concerned about motivated kids, hear this. Take six weeks to have fun with learning. Don’t worry about “falling behind”. If they love to or want to learn, you, and everyone are so much better off! If taking six weeks to have fun learning makes you nervous, set low expectations for book work and put your focus on interest led learning. 

To clarify, my oldest does not join us for table time anymore. He has a desk in his room. He typically comes out for meals, devotional and for a break. He knows the chores he’s responsible for and he does his online class in the front room on a laptop and headphones. 
I never have used curriculum to fill up his days. We have enjoyed books and played math games mostly. We’ve used his interests to fuel  what we did with our time. 

During nap time, all my kids do quiet learning type things. This could be a workbook they can do alone, reading, writing, audiobooks while they build or draw. I do similar things during this time as well. Even when we kids want to do something together I insist on individual time for 45 minutes or an hour. It’s really about mental health. We need a break from each other!

Last thing...I think. :)
If your kids are old enough to make decisions, involve them in designing their education. It’s like involving them in cooking a meal. When it’s served, they are so much more excited to eat it!

Rocket launching was the 7 year olds idea. We ALL loved that one!


Okay, what do you need clarified? I’m a visual person. I hope you’re seeing how this works!
Next post is my method for goals and how we keep going week in and week out. 
You’ve got this! I’m serious. ❤️

No comments: