Thursday, January 23, 2020

on getting to work

There I was, driving to pick up one of our children from somewhere.  It was December and it was dark and cold.  I was reflecting on the year and thinking a bit about what was ahead.

 Now, I have long since determined not to try and explain my brain, so I won't attempt that here.

 Somehow I knew in my reflection that I had focused entirely too much on my weaknesses and not enough on my strengths.  It had been a difficult year and one that I tried to get on top of and couldn't ever quite make it.  I did do some great things, I just, I don't know, was negative about it...never quite feeling like I was enough or doing enough.

Looking back on this conversation I was having with myself, I know it was guarded by an Angel or some Being of Light because it was not a depressing conversation...I've had those and I know the difference.

My thoughts rolled forward onto how things could be better for me...and how I could put my strengths to work. Then the following story came to mind:

There once was a young missionary, by the name of Elder Hinckley who was away from his family, in a foreign land and discouraged.  He wrote home to his Dad saying, "I think I should come home.  I'm wasting your money and my time". The day came when he received the highly anticipated letter from his Father, it read, "Dear Son, Forget yourself and go to work".

Now, as a mother of six children at home, a fabulous husband, two kittens, and five chickens, forgetting myself is really not a problem.  :)

"Go and Do" is going through my head.  Our two oldest are youth age and this is their theme for the year.  I think I'll adopt it. 

On forgetting myself...I think what Elder Hinckley's Father meant was, give what you've got, stop worrying about what will or won't happen and leave the rest up to The Lord.  This is hugely applicable to me and any person who feels inspired to take any course of action and then doubts themselves.  Turn that off.  Get to work.  Oh, the time and energy I have wasted crying over not being or doing enough. 

I suppose I'll be done with thinking that time was wasted.  I'll choose to be grateful because I learned from it and I have decided I can Go and Do more purposeful things that bring light and build others up.

Yeah, I'll get to work.

No comments: