Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Answers to our prayers.

I have SO many questions!  I know I'm in great company.  You, like me, are trying to decide what is best worth your time, what is most important, how to best reach this child or get along with that neighbor, etc, etc, etc!  I am sure we could all spout of a long list of questions!  Oh the questions!

That's good.  We are supposed to have questions.  We are supposed to ask them.  We are here to learn!

Recently I have learned somethings about revelation that I feel that I need to share.

When I plan to take a question to the Lord with the scriptures as my aid to revelation I write it down.  As I write the question, I will often have possible answers running through my head.  It's like I hear, this is a dumb thing to ask, you know what to do..."read your scriptures more", "be more understanding", "take them cookies" or things from books I've read will come to mind..."if your child is behaving this way it means they need to be validated", or "your spouse needs to consider your feelings too"...oh the list goes on!  So many answers from so many sources that it seems like I should already know what to do.  (yet I don't!)

So, I finish writing my question, pray about it and then proceed to read the Book of Mormon until I get my answer.  Which is never very long at all.  Heavenly Father is keenly aware my moment of silence could end any time. :)
What I have learned is summed up in the verse from Isaiah 55:8, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith The Lord."

Seriously, a few weeks ago, I sat at my kitchen table late and night just crying because I didn't want my answer to be my answer.  It was so hard to accept!  (tears as I type this.  so hard!)  I was tutored as I sat in that sacred space of learning.  It took some time but I was taught and I feel so grateful for the lessons I learned.  Yes, His ways are most definitely not our ways. 

I have never put myself in the following catagory because I don't have a PHD, but this scripture struck a strong spiritual chord for me.  -especially considering these experiences I have been having. 

2 Nephi 9:28 "...When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not.  And they shall perish."

Yikes!  That scripture came to my mind as I was pondering what I've learned.  I didn't find that on my own. 

Friends, we are all learning.  That is the plan.  Asking and receiving are also part of the plan.  "Ask and ye shall receive."  Don't assume you know what to do.  Yes, do your homework.  Remember that part of revelation is to ask God.  He is the Source! We are His children.  Lets embrace that role and treat Him like our Father.  Go to Him in faith, nothing wavering and believe that He will hear us and give us answers to our prayers.  

No comments: